Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Right now I am crying...no, actually not crying. More like HYSTERICALLY BALLING! One of my favorite fictional characters of all time died. The love story of Hazel and Augustus was so complicatedly simple. There were no vampires or werewolves, no jealous ex-boyfriends or parents that disapproved of their relationship. No. None of that. They were battling a real life illness that people suffer through ever day. Together. Two star crossed lovers. We sometime oversee those as the REAL hardships. It's not always the forbidden lovers who are banned to be with one another because of where they came from...it's the lovers who are forbidden to be together because death separates them.

This book is beautifully written. You even get to see what the families of ill-children go through. The characters' humor kept me laughing but their suffering made me cry. That's when you know it's a good book; when it tugs at ALL of your emotions. This story makes you really appreciate life and be thankful for what you have. I love Hazel. I love Augustus. But, mostly, I love them together. I know it's just a book and like Van Houten said referencing his own book, "The characters inhabiting it have no life outside of those scratches. What happened to them? They all ceased to exist the moment the novel ended", but I truly believe Hazel will be reunited with her one true love one day. When it is her time to go.

One last thing: I hope that a drug such as "Phalanxifor" to help shrink tumors finally exists in the near future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment